New leather boots tend to develop some creases as you break into them on the area where the boots flex. These creases are absolutely normal to appear and happen to almost all leather boots. These creases and wrinkles do not look nasty but give your pair a rough & tough appearance.
But, sometimes, some ugly creases and wrinkles may develop all over the leather upper. This happens due to the lack of proper leather boots care or the boots getting aged. In such a case, you need to take some pro-active steps to get the creases out of your leather boots.
I wrote this guide to share some of my favorite hacks that I use to get the creases out of leather boots. They are safe methods and have a very high success rate. Here you are:
In This Article
4 Ways to Get Creases Out of Leather Boots
There are broadly two things you can do to get the creases out of leather boots. You can either shrink the leather or stretch the leather. Shrinking the leather will pinch the creases to extinction. Same way, stretching the leather will flatten the surface and cut the creases. All four methods given below will work either by shrinking the leather or by stretching it. Here you are:
1. Iron the Creases Out of Leather Boots
You can iron out and get rid of creases on leather boots the same way you work the wrinkles out of clothes. This is by far the most effective method I have ever used to fix creases on leather boots.
Just make sure your iron is set to a low setting as too much heat can burn the leather. If in doubt, start with the lowest temperature and gradually increase it with each round. Here is a good demonstration of the same technique but on sneakers.
Here’s how to get the creases out of leather boots with iron:
- Remove laces from your leather boots.
- Stuff your leather boots with some paper or cardboard inserts.
- Sprinkle some water all over the leather upper so that it is less prone to burn.
- Cover the boots with a wet cloth.
- Set your steam iron to a low temperature and let it heat up a little.
- Iron the boots but only on the affected areas that have creases on them.
- Remove the cloth and let the boots dry for a while.
2. Use Shower Steam to Flatten the Leather Creases
The shower steam stretches the leather, flattens the bulges, and expands the creases out to extinction. This method is very effective to fix the creases on leather boots with little risk of damaging the pair.
Here’s how to get the creases out of leather boots with shower steam:
- Stuff your leather boots with some papers.
- Cover your leather boots with a dry & lint-free piece of cloth.
- Take the pair to your shower area with you.
- Hang the pair in a high place in your shower room to prevent it from getting wet.
- Take your shower the usual way but let some steam build up.
- Grab the damp pair once you are done taking the shower.
- Work the creases out of the leather using your fingers.
3. Blow Some Hot Air to Fix the Creases
Nothing miraculous here.
The same old principle of stretching the leather and getting the creases out of boots works here too. This time, it is achieved by a different heat source- a blow dryer.
Here’s how to get the creases out of leather boots with a blow dryer:
- Hover a blow dryer over the leather boots at least six inches away from the pair.
- Set the air to hot and let it blow directly on the pair.
- Keep moving your hands to blow the hot air all over the boots.
- Keep using your fingers to work the creases out into the welt of the boots.
- Avoid blowing air on any area of the boots for more than 3 seconds.
4. Apply Some Diluted Alcohol to Eliminate the Creases
Alcohol is a great chemical that relaxes the leather and opens its pores. Along with relaxing leather, the creases also go flatten and disappear. Just avoid applying too much alcohol on leather or it may discolor the leather.
Here’s how to get the creases out of leather boots with alcohol:
- Make a 50-50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water.
- Spray the mix all over the leather upper.
- Wait for a little until the leather has soaked in the liquid.
- Work the creases out using your fingers or a clean piece of cloth.
- Leave the pair in shade to air dry.
Prevent Creases from Appearing on Your Leather Boots Ever Again
Once you have got the creases out of leather boots, it is time to prevent them from happening again. All you need to do is to understand what mistakes cause them to happen and avoid making those mistakes. Here’s the list of causes:
If you store your leather boots without boxes they are bound to develop some creases on them. Even worse, if you pile up several other things on them during storage.
So, do not throw away the original boxes that your leather boots were delivered in. Use them whenever you are to store your boots for long.
If your leather boots start to lose their moisture creases are sure to appear on them. Even worse, you may see some cracks in your leather boots as well.
So, keep nourishing your pair with leather oil, and do not let it go dry & rough.
Haste While Wearing
Last but not least. Haste while wearing boots is a prevalent reason for them to develop creases on them. The heel is the most prone area to creases here.
So, please take time to undo the laces, wear the boots, and do the laces again. If you are short of time every morning, consider going for a pair of pull-on boots.
You know how to get the creases out of your leather boots. Even more exciting is that you know how to keep them away from your boots forever. This is time to use the knowledge and make your boots look like new again.
Just a reminder, try to get the creases out of your leather boots only if they make your boots look ugly. The creases at flexing points are normal and can’t be avoided. Thanks!